Tuesday 21 July 2015

West Cork. Skibbereen.
Who doesn't like to travel? I do!  Choosing the right place, planning the activities and the amount you are going to spend. Picking the right clothes and equipment. What's important goes to luggage what is not still hanging on the doubt. How I should know which place is the best and what to take with me on board. My name is Ernesta. I'm a traveler. Well camper is the best word to describe my traveler's status. Usually I'm traveling with my two little rascals  and my soul mate.
Ernesta.B
Picture by Ernesta.B
If I would have time and money I would be traveling a lot. But reality is different. Usually we go camping for summer holidays. And we travel around the Ireland. We just love West Cork!As Irish people called West Cork: " Irish Spain". Weather is warmer than other parts of Ireland.
I never expect me to say that but Ireland is just amazing island of beauty. Every part of Ireland is different. 
So I'm going to plan my journey, visit and then give the full review . I'm writing my review in the most popular travel guide tripadvisor.ie I started to use this site back to 2008 when I was planing my trip to Germany from the Ireland. At that time there were no smart phones being used. There were no GPS on the phone. So it was a challenge. Now a days it's way more easier because of the devices with GPS, locations, map and socials web pages where information just fly in a second and being spread so so quickly.   
Well everything is packed and we are on the road. We are heading to the Skibbereen County Cork.

Picture by Ernesta.B
It's 83km from Cork. About 1h 20 min. The best place for the dinner was the "Riverside Cafe". Food was very nice. And the seating place is lovely. It's on the rivers side. There is a small fountain inside the back yard. There were some live music while we were having our dinner. For the breakfast I would suggest a Church Restaurant. This place is based in an old church. The inside is stunning!
Picture by Ernesta B.
Picture by Ernesta B.

Not impressive place to have a dinner is the "Paragon bar& Bistro" The food was really nice but very doubtful is it family friendly. The place is so not clean. The toilet was just OMG!


 We will be staying in the caravan& campsite " Hideaway  ". Location is superb! With a very short distance to the  town. Park is very clean and family friendly. This is what I was looking for. There is a playground inside the park, Pool room, kitchen, showers and etc. I booked the pitch for the tent by the email. Was easy and very pleasant. And it's not that expensive if you'd compare what would you pay for the hotel or B&B so you save some money.
We left the car and decided to walk to the town. There is a footpath to reach the town and the street lights as well. So if you would be coming to the park late in the evening or at night no worries. Close to the supermarket "Lidl" and the town is in 2min.
Picture by Ernesta B.
 So we  took a walk to the Skibbereen Heritage Center .  Easy to find, nice view.  We were only one customers at the time cause it was end of the working day. It was so nice to find more about Ireland history. The exhibition wasn't very huge but was impressive. Staff were welcome and friendly.
Pictures by Ernesta B

They suggested to visit Lough Hyne.
Pictures by Ernesta B.
Pictures by Ernesta B.
If you like long walking/climbing so you have to visit! 
We didn't know that we will be walking up around 7km! We took our boy with the buggy. It was a mistake! I suggest you to buy or take a carrying backpack for the hiking. It's a brilliant thing! It will make your climbing/ long walks much more easier. But if you planing to visit this place buy this bag before you visit Skibbereen. Cause we wanted to buy went to all the shops in Skibbereen and couldn't find.The way up is not too difficult. But when you are on a half way you can't wait to go up faster. But it's worth it after all. The view is amazing on the top!

Picture by Ernesta B.














When we reached the ground we decided to swim in a lake. It was my second mistake! The water is so so cold! Of course we forgot that this lake is sea water  ( nobody can find and understand why this lake is freshwater and sea water) . Who was swimming in any sea in Ireland knows that thermal  swimwear need to be worn.

Anyway the summery is:

Would I go back to the Hideaway caravan park? YES

Would I climb to Lough Hyne? YES

Would I go back to the cafe I recommended? YES 



No comments:

Post a Comment